BY: Dr. Mark O’Farrell
“I will praise the name of God with a song And will magnify Him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bull Which has horns and hooves. The humble shall see this and be glad And you who seek God, your hearts shall live.” Psalm 69:30-32 NKJV
There is something magnificent here … there is something life changing here … there is something powerful here! Do you see it? Do you feel it? Read the verses again, what do you sense?
The word translated ‘thanksgiving’ (toda) is found 31 times in the Old Testament and 9 times in the New Testament. It is the “giving of thanks.” Something happens when I truly give thanks to the Lord. There are tangible and nontangible happenings. A focus and change occur when you give thanks to Him! It is lifting and encouraging, not to mention enriching. In fact, did you see the last words of verse 32?
“…your hearts shall live.”
A giving force occurs … LIFE! Appreciation genuinely expressed in words from the heart to the giver of the blessing. It is a force that changes the life of the receiver. Transmit that proclamation with a song and MAGNIFY (gawdal) Him with thanksgiving! So much is occurring when I truly give thanks that it must be constant determination … to see and give thanks! And then look at the reward … His Appreciation! Can you comprehend this? This pleases the Lord and your heart shall live! When we give thanks, that action pleases our Heavenly Father. It demonstrates to Him the following:
1. We possess a spirit of dependence. We are unable to be or do what He desires without His intervention and assistance. Magnification (Glorification) comes to Him who is totally deserving. He is glorified and then we experience from the glorification blessing, enrichment, and empowerment.
2. We proclaim His sufficiency in all things and worthiness in all actions. This is transmitted to His creation, creating peace, joy, and confidence. Much is accomplished by our giving of thanks in the unseen world and in non-tangible influences. Yes, there is mystery in this … and for all eternity, we will be ever reviewing and entering this mystery.
3. We pleasure in Him. We simply enjoy Him! We are redeemed people with a longing and growing pursuit of spending time with Him, listening, looking, and then laboring with great happiness and power. And you know how you feel when one simply enjoys being with you, PERIOD.
With these thoughts in mind, bathe your thinking on these verses of Scripture:
- “Sing to the Lord with Thanksgiving…” Psalm 147:7 NKJV
- “Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ” Ephesians 5:20 NKJV
- “Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God…” Philippians 4:6 NKJV
- “Continue earnestly in prayer being vigilant in it with thanksgiving.” Colossians 4:2 NKJV
- “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom, thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever. Amen.” Revelation 7:12 NKJV